The first place to start is to live a balanced and healthy lifestyle that supports optimum vitality and health, with this in mind there are 5 pillars of health I would highly recommend to get your life on the right track.
The mother of all healing, not too much and not too little, Ideally It is best to get to bed before 10pm as this is when your digestive fires/ metabolism kicks in and can lead to a second wind of mental alertness. Postponing to past midnight damages the liver as it is the time your body cleanses the liver, if you are awake this cleansing does not occur. Do not sleep past sunrise, it will
1. Slow your metabolism quicker than anything and make you put on weight.
2. Sleeping during the day can lead to depression over time.
If you suffer from insomnia,
- Disengage from any work or entertainment that takes your attention off thinking(eg TV/Computers/Work at least 2 hours before bed, sit alone for a while and process your thoughts, Contemplation is neglected art in a society that has to be on the get-go constantly.
- Meditation a half hour before going to sleep helps me.
- In extreme cases or when you are still battling to meditate, you may take half a teaspoon of nutmeg (put it on your tongue) and then swallow it down with a glass of water, do this about an hour before sleep.
Eat according to your constitution (Dosha ie, Pitta, Vata, Kapha) and limit your portion size to about a palm size of protein and a palm size of good carbohydrates. Allow 5 to 6 hours to pass between meals, without snacking at all, and not having sweetened drinks such as tea, coffee, or soft drinks.
Moderating your sex life is crucial for immunity and health; too much sex can deplete your reserves of vitality and compassion, peace of mind. Have the correct amount of Sex for your constitution.
Be aware that it is still very cold outside and dress appropriately, yet it is still a good time to begin a daily walking routine with some friends, or join a Yoga class. Ayurveda suggests that you exercise until you have perspiration appearing on the forehead back and arms and chest- this is easily achievable with a gentle amount of exercise such as Yoga, or a brisk walk. This is one of the most overlooked principles of the body, You are designed to clean out toxins in one of 3 ways (urine, feces, sweat) if you do not perspire you put an unnecessary burden on the kidneys and liver.
In this modern world meditation has become a vitally important tool in overcoming stress and stress related illnesses, it is well known to lower blood pressure and heart rate, the benefits of a calmer more balanced outlook on life are obvious, you treat other people better and can deal with life in a more effective manner. Meditation also brings great insight and presence, try to meditate twice a day(morning and evening), can also be effective before going to bed.(around 9pm)