Chhardi, in Sanskrit, is known as Vomiting, and is formed by combining two words chhad and ard. Chhad means to cover or to fill, and ard means pain or discomfort, with the combined term meaning pain or discomfort caused by vomiting. Immense discomfort is caused to the body when the mouth is completely full of vomitus while vomiting.
Chhardi is classified into five types. They are: Vataja, Kaphaja, Pittaja, Sannipataja and Dwistharthaja meaning contact with digesting object.
The pre-indicating signs and symptoms are: Utklesha or nausea, Kapha praseko or excessive saliva and Dwesho ashaneya or food aversion.
The general causes for vomiting are excessive intake of fluids, or unctuous food, consumption of food with excess salt, over eating and irregular food intake, incompatible food intake or allergies to certain foods, fatigue, fear, grief, anger, indigestion, worm infestation, pregnancy vomiting, improper chewing of food.
The clinical features or the indicating signs and symptoms are different for different types of Chhardi.
- For Vataja Chhardi, one would experience pain in head, chest & navel, mouth dryness, voice hoarseness, pricking pain, vomiting with loud sound of belching. Moreover, the vomitus is black in color, frothy, broken up, thin & astringent, little in quantity.
- In Pittaja Chhardi, one experiences thirst, mouth dryness, burning sensation in head, palate & eyes, feeling of darkness, and giddiness. Moreover, vomitus will be green, yellow ,hot, bitter & smoky.
- Feeling drowy, mouth sweetness, excessive saliva, contentment, sleep, anorexia, and heaviness are experienced in Kaphaja Chhardi. Moreover, vomitus is solid concentrated, sweet & white & vomiting is accompanied by goose bumps or horripilation.
- In Sannipataja, severe abdominal pain, anorexia, indigestion, burning, thirst, Dyspnoea & fainting are experienced. Moreover, vomitus is salty, blue,viscous, hot & red.
- Dwisthaarthaja is caused when the person is stressed psychologically by factors such as smell, vision, or eating, disgusting, antagonistic, unclean, putrefied objects vomits, which inflict the psyche.
There are many treatments for this ailment. One can fast from the moment vomiting starts. Emesis can be administrated in case of strong people. You can give either milk or fruit juices.
Mix saindhava with ghee, warm the mixture and give it to people suffering from it. You should also administer a Mixture of tivrit powder and juice of drksha and iksu or tailvaka sarpi.
There are few decoctions that can be given to stop the vomiting. A piece of ginger should be mashed, and boiled in a glass of water.
Sieve the contents and drink the decoction to stop vomiting. Boil sunthi, curd and dhanya in a glass of water. Sieve the contents and consume the decoction.
When vomiting is caused due to psychic stress, its better to involve that person in a favorite talk or give consolation to him or exhilaration, common stories, friends and amorous movements which can act as curative.
Commonly used drugs are bhasma, rasa kalpa, lauha, churna, and avleha. Shankha, Kapardik are known bhasmas available. Sutsekhar & Kamadudha are popular among rasa kalpa. Under Lauha, Amlapittantak, & Dhatri Lauha are well known. Talisadi, Avipattikar, & Sitopaladi are well known churnas, Chyavan Prasha is well known Avleha.