Leanness or being lean is Karshya. Looking lean may not be attractive also. Both the lean and obese fall under eight despicable persons as per Charaka.
To be a healthy person, muscles, compactness, firmness of organs are in balanced proportion without becoming prey to the prowess of disorders as per him.
The buttocks, abdomen, neck, prominent vascular network (dhamanijal santataha), remnant of skin and bone (twagasthi shesho, ati krusha) and thick nodes (sthool parva) would be dried in the case of a lean person.
As per Sushruta, rasa dhatu decides the lean or fattiness of a body.
The etiological factors that cause this leanness are excessive fasting, intake of rough food and drinks, to be on diet control, or eating vata (dry and astringent) foods, subjecting oneself to too much of evacuation therapy, grief, worries, fear, excess study, or exercise or sexual intercourse, too much of bathing, suppressing the urge to sleep, thirst and hunger, anger, and so on.
There are few Roopas or the signs and symptoms that help you diagnose leanness.
It can be observed that tolerating physical exercise, over saturation, hunger, thirst, disease, drugs (kshutpipasamay-aushadham) is not possible for a lean person.
He/she would feel too much of cold, heat and indulge oneself in too much of sexual intercourse (ati-shitoshna-maithunam).
The spleen would enlarge in the over lean persons. They would be a victim of cough- kasa, and wasting- kshaya would become a habit.
They might be a victim of Dyspnoea- Shwasa, gascious tumour- gulma, piles- arsha, abdominal diseases- udara, Raktapitta, disorders of vata and so on. Moreover, the diseases or ailments of the lean person are sometimes untreatable due to low immunity of a lean person.
One has to follow the following conducts in order to cure this ailment:
– Put in the habit of Day sleep (diva-swapna)
– Exhilaration (harsha). Make sure that you are in good spirits.
– Comfortable bed (sukha shayya) for sleep. Avoid any discomfort while sleeping.
– Relaxation of mind (manaso nivrutti). Confusions, anger, frustrations, and should be avoided.
– Keeping away from mental work that would relieve you of your mental peace. Sexual intercourse and physical exercise also would do well for leanness.
– Should live amongst the people and the environment one likes.
– Tailabhyanga (daily oil massage) is recommended.
– Snigdha udvartan (unctuous anointing).
– Snana (bath) is a must.
– Gandha-mala-neshevanam (using perfumery and garlands). This would help you to be in good and high spirits.
– Shukla vasa (wearing white dress).
– Consume sweet and unctuous food.
– New cereals, fresh wine, meat soup of domestic, marshy and acquatic animals should be consumed, if you would like to.
– Eat curd, ghee, milk, sugarcane, rice, black gram, wheat.
– Products of jaggery.
If one wants to look good with balanced body and desires to give up the leanness should follow these:
– Use of unctuous and sweet enema.
– Yatha-kala dosha-vasechana (timely drainage of dosha)
– Regular use of rasayana (bulk promoting) and vajikarana (aphrodisiac) formulations.
Commonly used drugs
Vidarikanda, ashwagandha, payassya, vidari, shatavari, bala, atibala and nagabala are some of the bulk promotional drugs.