Kasra or Kushabde is the verbal root word for kaasa. Abnormal sound produced from a human being’s mouth is Kaasa or cough.
During cough, there would be movement and painful effect on the chest, and therefore is named kaasa. Cough or kaasa are of five types. They are:
– Three doshas, that is, Vata, Pitta, Kapha, cause three kinds of cough.
– Chest wound causes the fourth type of cough known as Kshataj.
– Consumption causes the fifth type of cough known as Kshayaj.
To determine the type of cough, there are Poorvaroopa or preindicating signs and symptoms. Those are:
– The feeling in the throat and the mouth of the affected would be as though they are covered with thorns, and is known as ShookPurna Galaasyata.
– The affected would have itching in the throat, and is known as Kanthe Kandushcha.
– The affected would have anorexia or aruchi, and it would be difficult to swallow or consume food or anything, and is known as Bhojyanam Avarodh.
Factors causing cough or kassa are as follows:
– It can be due to cold climatic conditions.
– It can also be due to consumption of less or deficient food.
– It can be due to fasting, sometimes.
– Indulging in sex excessively.
– If urges and exertion are suppressed.
– Intake of coarse.
The symptoms or clinical features of Kaasa are irritation, fainting, debility, anxious expression, blackouts, dryness of chest, throat and mouth, sounds like that of conch or cloud, horripilation, hoarseness of voice, intense pain in chest, head, and cardiac region, and dry cough.
Symptoms of Pittaja Kaasa:
You get this kind of cough due to eating of excessive heavy, slimy food, sweets, and carbonated drinks. Indicating signs and symptoms or clinical features of Pittaja Kaasa are anorexia, vomiting, excitement, heaviness, horripilation, sweetness in the mouth, moistening, malaise, coughing out the viscous phlegm without pain, and so on.
The factors that cause the Kshataja Kaasa are weightlifting, exerting oneself beyond one’s strength, working with horses or elephants, straining too much when one is suffering from chest wound. The symptoms for this cough are excruciating, piercing pain in chest, joint pain, fever, thirst, abnormal voice, cooing sound of pigeon during the bouts of cough, initially it starts with dry cough, and later, the affected would through out sputum with blood, and so on.
The factors that pave way to this type of cough are untimely intake of food, eating incompatible food, indulging oneself in excessive intercourse, suppressing the urges with disgust and anxiety, which results in loss of digestive power. The symptoms of this kaasa are anorexia, coryza, envious and disgusting, eyes become pretty, hands and legs become smooth, the sputum that is thrown out is fetid, green, red, and look like pus. Moreover, the feeling of heart being thrown out during cough bout is more in this type of cough.
Few treatments given to the different types of coughs are same as the symptoms coincide for few types. You can give the affected, a glass of hot milk adding a pinch of turmeric. You can even suggest the affected to have kalkand in his/her mouth and swallow the saliva.
Commonly used drugs for Kaasa are Churna, Lauha, Rasa Kalpa, Arishtha, Bhasma, Pishti, Leha, and Ghruta.