Every woman desires to have a slim and svelte body. Because of this overwhelming desire, ladies tend to adopt wrong methods of “shedding weight”, resulting in loss of health but not loss of weight. These common mistakes are:
1. Setting too ambitious target. Your targets for weight reduction should be based on practical, logical reasons. If you attempt to shed all the acquired fat in a short time and indulge in over straining “crash methods” of weight reduction, the results could be serious. Sudden reduction of weight may cause metabolic problems.
2. “Starving”, yourself is another mistake. Or some people go on ‘all vegetables’ or ‘all fruits diet’. Remember your brain needs adequate amounts of glucose to function properly. If you starve your body, you starve your brain. Frequent fasting will damage the brain. Hence eat small quantities but for more number of times. Starvation diet is especially harmful to persons with gout or cardiac, renal or cerebral disorders.
3. Do not believe advertisements that promise miraculous reduction of weight in just a few weeks. Medically, this is simply not possible.
4. Similarly, beware of special dietary foods that are touted as instant weight reducing foods. Consult your doctor before using such foods / supplements. These foods may not contain starch or sugar. But instead syrup, fructose and etc could have been added.
5. Do not eat “snacks” especially chocolates in between meals. Give up the attitude that what if just one chocolate is eaten. Instead, eats fruits or raw vegetables.
6. Do not watch T.V. for long periods. Do not become a slave to the Idiot Box. Watching T.V. makes you lazy and you put on 1/2 kilo more per month if you watch T.V. for 5 hours a day. Also the “snacks” you munch during your T.V. watching time, definitely adds kilos to your weight.
7. Another erroneous belief is, if you sleep too much, you put on weight. If you sleep for only 4 hours a day, your carbohydrate food will not get digested. Adequate sleep is required for proper brain function and metabolism.
8. Avoiding or neglecting to take salads before your main course. If salads are consumed before food, one tends to eat less.
9. Following the “Dr. Atkins Revolutionary diet” without consulting a doctor. This diet advocates avoiding foods rich in carbohydrates and including a lot of protein and fat rich foods! Its main “mantra” is that carbohydrates are body’s energy. It body is deprived of it, it will “burn” fat & protein & use these for its energy requirements. Hence body’s fat is reduced. You can eat meat, eggs, cheese, full cream, meat fried in butter etc but you must not take bread, pasta, certain fruits, and vegetables. After practicing this diet for some time, carbohydrate foods will be permitted in the end of this dietary regimen. This being a difficult diet regimen, do not undertake it without consulting your doctor. Atkins diet may cause reduction in weight but if you stop it, weight will again increase.
10. Many people go by their body weights to determine their level of obesity. The correct method to determine whether you are overweight or not is the “BMI” method. Body Mass Index (BMI) is obtained by multiplying your weight in kilos by 1000 and dividing with your height in centimeter, squared.
Metric Units: BMI = Weight (kg) / (Height (m) x Height (m))
For example: if you weight is assumed to be 60 kg and height 1.65m, then the calculation should be:
BMI = 60 / (1.65 x 1.65) = 22.03
You can download the BMI Chart in PDF format at National Institutes of Health.
Ayurveda and Obesity
Ayurveda calls the digestive power as power of ‘Agni’ (fire). This Agni develops ‘dhatus’ and provides nutrients. When this fire power is affected, the foods becomes only. More food is eaten resulting in more fat that deposits in several parts of the body. All actions that increase “kapha” dosha, increase fat accumulation. Ayurveda therapies consist of langanam and Udvarthanam. Langanam therapy cleanses the stomach and body while Udvardanam consist of dry massage with herbs. Consult your physician to choose a slimming method that suits you.
Ayurveda for weight loss