Inflammation or gout is known in Sanskrit term as vatrakta. Panchakarma therapy is one of the most effective treatments in curing gout.
– Increase in pain in joints which if not treated can become recurring in nature.
– More than normal perspiration or less than normal.
– Sedation like feeling.
– Acute pain on any kind of wound.
– Lack of sensation in knee, thigh, feet, shoulder.
– Unusual facial appearance.
– Excessive sleep during day time.
– Consumption or eating during dyspepsia.
– Unsuited foodstuff.
– Excess intake of vinegary, spicy, oily, warm and raw food.
Following things must be avoided when a person is suffering from vatrakta.
Mushrooms, peas, dry beans, alcohol, fish fries, spinach and cauliflower.
There are three known synonyms (identical) of vatrakta. They are Khuda, Adhayavata and Vatabalasaka. The description of each synonym is as follows:
It means tiny joints. In this kind of disorder, acute and unbearable pain in small joints occurs, that is why it is also called khuda vata.
It means a prosperous group of people who have a very fragile body composition. In this disorder people from this section of population are affected, it is known as Adhayavata.
This disorder affects the whole blood.
Vatrakta can be classified according to the control of doshas, rakta, pitta and kapha as follows:
F. Classification According To Doshas
1. Control of Vata
Enlargement of vessels, soreness, shivering and sharp pain, coarseness, exasperation, tightening of veins and joints, inflexibility and severe ache in body parts.
2. Control of Rakta
Inflammation with severe and sharp pain and swelling.
3. Control of Pitta
Overexcitement, severe pain, acidic sensation after meals, weakness, dehydration, swelling and desiccation.
4. Control of Kapha
Sensation of Humidity, bulkiness and placid ache.
Some things need to be taken care of when treating this disorder:
– Psychological mystification.
– Sudden glitch.
– Loss of appetite.
– Sleepy feeling.
– Smoldering sensation.
– Inflexibility in body parts.
1. Patient suffering from gout should be treated with artificial blood-letting.
2. When there is pain, ruddiness and blazing feeling, the blood should be sucked by leeches only.
3. When vatrakta disorder spread from one body part to another, scraping or scratching of skin is appropriate.
4. Rakta Mokshan Karma therapy must not be administered when there’s weakness, dehydration, swelling and hardness.
5. Honey and triphala churan (powder) must be given.
6. The cooked mixture of milk, oil and sugar must be given to the patient.
I. Medicines Used
Basically, all ayurvedic medicines are used. Some of them commonly used are as follows:
– Yograj Guggul (Useful in arthritis pain).
– Praval Pishthi.
– Gandhak Rasayan.
– Chandanasava (A kind of thick paste made up of chandan).
– Gokhshuradi (To augment sexual prowess).
– Swarna Makshik.